Peter* L. (1778/83-1858/61) b. Richmond, Maiden Creek, Berks Co., PA; r. Brothersvalley Twp. and Quemahoning Twp., Somerset County, PA (son of Christian/Christopher & Anna Marie Lincoln Bowman: Farmer) from among first families in Somerset County
-burial: Bowman farm-Shaffer School House Cemetery, Quemahoning Twp., Somerset Co. (see “Show map” for GPS)
Mary Horner (1784-1880) b. Franklin Co., PA; r. Somerset County (daughter of Solomon & Elizabeth Horner)
-burial: Bowman farm-Shaffer Schoolhouse Cemetery, Quemahoning Twp., Somerset Co. She lived to be 95
Married: 8/7/1805, Somerset Co. Mary was 20. They had at least 12 children and celebrated 56 years together
Children: (at least 12 in all – 7 sons & 5 daughters, all born in Quemahoning Twp. FindaGrave doesn’t agree with all names & dates.)
1. Joseph (1806-1884@) b. Quemahoning Twp.; r. Ohio & Illinois
2. Elizabeth (1807-1865) b & r. Somerset Co.
3. John N. (1810-1892) b & r. Somerset Co. (m. Mary Lohr; Farmer) his son, Benjamin F. Bowman, wagonmaker and Civil War vet is often confused with our Benjamin. They were cousins.
4. Susannah “Susan” Horner (1811-1879) d. Polk Co., NE (m. George Lohr, probably brother-in-law through John)
5. Jacob# C. (1814-1875) b. Somerset Co.; r. Woodford, IL (m. Fanny ______)
6. Benjamin (1816-1908) b & r Somerset Co. (m. Susannah Berkey – our line; Farmer)
7. Daniel (1819-1897)
8. Catherine (twin)(1821-1872) d. Carroll Co., Illinois
9. Rachel (twin) (1821-1850/84@)
-burial: possible Bowman-Shaffer farm cemetery, Quemahoning Twp.
10. Peter, Jr. (1824-1900) b. Somerset Co.; r. Iowa ( m. Elizabeth Kocher)
11. Mary Ann (1827-1856/84@)
12. William (1828-1896/1920) b. Somerset Co.; r. Johnstown, PA (m. Sarah Woy)
-buried: Husband Cemetery+, Somerset, PA. His son Dr. Jacob T. Bowman founded the Somerset Community Hospital in 1927.
13. Franklin# ?
* The History of Bedford, Somerset, & Fulton Counties, PA (1884) has Peter Bowman as living and dying in Quemahoning Township, the only son of John S. Bowman, a native of Germany. The Biographical Review Containing Life Sketches of Leading Citizens of Bedford & Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania (1889) V. 23, pp. 208-210, has Peter’s father as John J. Bowman (b. 1847), son of John & Mary Lohr Bowman, of Quemahoning Township. Peter’s paternal grandfather was Stephen was born in Germany and lived in Western Virginia. This Peter was born in VA in 1783 before moving to Quemahoning Township. Confusion among the various Johns, Jacobs, and Peters still reigns.
@ Several siblings died in 1884. Could this have been an epidemic?
# Some sources list a Thomas with these dates. Could Jacob and/or Franklin have been a middle name?
+ One source has William buried in the Weller Cemetery, Somerset County.
Brian J. Ensley. Various FindaGrave.com
History of Somerset County, Pt. II. Waterman, Watkins, & Co., 1884. p. 500
Dixie Klement. “Sargeant Family Tree.” 31 August 2018
Jan Markle Hoth. Mythmarkle.com. 22 May 2011
“Peter & Mary Bowman.” FindaGrave.com. 15 Oct. 2018
Thomas Bowman Young. E-mail. 3 Nov. 2012
Various Public Member Family Trees, Federal Censuses, and other documents. Ancestry.com
RETURN TO OUR BOWMAN FAMILY TREE
RETURN TO OUR HORNER FAMILY TREE
Last revised 1/17/20